Services provided by Bean's Cafe and how you can help:
Vision and Mission
Our mission is to feed the hungry and the homeless without discrimination during the day. We embody the values of compassion, dignity and respect for all who enter our doors.
“The underlying premise of Bean’s Cafe is a deep belief in the inherent dignity of every person, a belief that people respond with kindness when treated kindly, with trust when trusted, and respectfully when respected. Our aim is not to set up a value system – determining what is right or wrong – or a way of life for persons, but allow them to form their own. In this situation, a person is not pressured into acting in a special way, and their response is free, lasting, and more fully themselves.”
- Bean’s Cafe Founding Documents, 1979
Aside from serving meals twice a day to those in need, we also provide a variety of support services:
Programs and Services
We provide a warm breakfast and lunch to anyone in need 365 days a year. Not all of our clients are homeless – many individuals struggle to make ends meet, and Bean’s Cafe offers a place where they can receive a free meal without judgement.
Child Nutrition Program
The Children’s Lunchbox is our child nutrition program which offers meals and snacks to 17 community programs, including dinner from scratch at two after-school programs. Additionally, we provide bags of weekend meals to every child at seven Title I elementary schools in Anchorage.
Client Services offers a variety of services to assist clients – no matter their needs – and all free of charge. Including:
- Basic Necessities: grab a pair of socks, a bar of soap, or even cough drops in our office inside the Cafe.
- Mail Service: Clients can receive mail at the cafe Monday through Saturday.
All mail should be addressed to the client at 1101 E. 3rd Ave. Anchorage, Alaska 99501.
- Referrals: Mental Health, Medical, Financial, Substance Abuse, Jobs, Housing, and anything else a client might need.
- Conference Room: Our conference room hosts group support meetings from local community partners.
- Housing Specialists: Our upstairs office is home to two housing specialists from a partner agency who work with clients to find appropriate permanent accommodations.
Thousands of Anchorage children are considered at-risk of not having enough food. Last year, The Children’s Lunchbox served 200,000 meals to 3,000 kids.
Bean’s Cafe has a history of helping those in need. Whether you’re a client or volunteer, we’d like to hear your history.
Stories of Success and Hope
“Bean’s Cafe has helped me in ways I never thought possible. It goes beyond food. They helped me to believe in myself again.”
Daniel, Former Client